Tinton Falls is a borough in Monmouth County, New Jersey, United States. The borough was formed as New Shrewsbury by an act of the New Jersey Legislature on August 15, 1950, based on the results of a referendum held on July 18, 1950, after breaking away from Shrewsbury Township. The borough is home to the highest waterfall on New Jersey’s coastal plain. Grover’s ironworks was the central fixture of the community, and it was one of the oldest built in the country, predated only by buildings in Jamestown and Massachusetts.
Unincorporated communities, localities and place names located partially or completely within the borough include Wayside. Green Grove, Hockhockson, Macedonia, Pine Brook, Reevytown, West Shrewsbury and Wileys Corner are other unincorporated communities located partly or completely within the borough. The township borders the Monmouth County municipalities of Colts Neck Township, Eatontown, Middletown Township, Neptune Township, Ocean Township, Red Bank, Shrewsbury, Shrewsbury Township and Wall Township.
Overlook by the Falls, located near the town’s waterfalls (the namesake for the town), is a wildlife area where trails have been added to allow visitors to view the falls and the local fauna. Borough parks include Hockhockson Park, with three baseball fields and basketball courts, Liberty II Park, with two football fields, a softball field and basketball courts, Riverdale West Park, with two soccer fields and a basketball court and the Sycamore Recreation Complex, which offers six lighted multi-purpose fields, among the borough’s other parks and recreation facilities. The Twin Brook Golf Center is a public 9-hole golf course, 18-hole miniature golf course, and driving range.
Public school students in kindergarten through eighth grade attend the three schools in the Tinton Falls School District, together with students from the neighboring community of Shrewsbury Township and the dependent children of military families based at Naval Weapons Station Earle.